Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Drama as a GOOD Thing? Gasp!


Okay, I am well aware that I will probably get lynched for this, but here goes...
Everyone I hang out with has been complaining about how much drama there is in our lives lately, and that it sucks, and that boys and girls are stupid and that the whole world is coming to an end and we will all be single forever and the rock bucket is the evil of the world, blah blah blah...whatever. The rock bucket is officially retired. But I digress...
So this has been on my mind a lot lately. And I have decided that we're all just whining. All of us. Yes, that is harsh, and yes, I have been one of the worst offenders, so I make a pledge now to not whine, and not get on kicks about how much guys or girls or dating suck. Because I have changed my mind. And this is why.
I think that what we have been calling drama is just trials. And trials are mandatory. Misery is a choice. Yes right now a lot of our trials have to do with dating, but that's just because of our age and situation in life. It sucks for everyone, and complaining doesn't make it any better. In fact, it probably makes it worse.
Drama is a good thing, because without it, we wouldn't know who our true friends are. We would not be able to grow from our adversity. We wouldn't be able to figure out how we handle difficulties and change that if need be. (Even if that need is medication...) We would not turn to the Lord because everything would be peachy keen. We would be everyone in the Book of Mormon who becomes lazy and unrighteous because everything is great. If everything is perfect and there isn't anything to work through, how do you know something is worth hanging onto? Without the hard times, you can't properly appreciate the good ones.
So I would like to say to all my friends out there who may be reading this, thank you for the good times, and even more,for the bad times, because we have stuck through them, and we are still friends. And that says a lot about us. We have, and will continue to make it through the drama.

4 comments:

SkyBluePink said...

Brilliant.

Dorathy Gilchrist said...

Hey Maren. I think you're right on. One thing I regret about when I was single was how much I worried about all that stuff. I should have just had fun, lived life, made friends, and been happy. When you live the way God has asked, and do all you can to be happy and spread it to those around you, happiness just comes at you and you can't even stop it.

Jonathan said...

But everything is just peachy... right? CRAP! haha. Good post- I don't disagree, but it gets annoying. And I'm not talking about having your own drama. I'm talking about the drama that you somehow get caught in the middle of even when it isn't your trial. But thanks for the rock. I'll keep it forever to remind me that I'm not perfect.

Brian said...

I completely agree. Good insight :)